Beauty, Fashion, Lifestyle

11 March 2015

7 Things I Wish I Had Known Before Starting a Blog


I started blogging back in December 2013, which to some might not be long ago and to others it might seem a long time. The past year or so of blogging has taught me a lot of things that I wish I had known before I began blogging, and whilst my blog is still a work in progress and not up to the same standard as other bloggers I follow I am starting to feel very proud of my little space.

Here are some things I thought I would share with you that I wish I had known when I started this blog.

1. Join Bloglovin. I had no idea about Bloglovin when I started writing  this blog, there was no way to follow my blog apart from google+ or blogger itself. My views were very small and not often even if I posted regularly. I just couldn't work out why. Well it's obvious now, the only way people would find my blog was by sheer chance. Bloglovin allows you to keep up to date with new posts from the blogs you decide to follow. I really love it and often find some really good blogs using the explore section of Bloglovin.

2. Comment More. Again with my blog being so small and not easy to find the most effective way to boost traffic is to pay attention to other people's blogs. If you read a post you like, make a comment. It's about supporting each other in a positive way. I would not recommend commenting with something like 'follow my blog' as this is just too forward and it makes people less likely to have a look at your blog.

3. Photography. Bigger brighter images are always more captivating. Although your content and writing style are what keep your readers coming back the photography is what draws the attention  to the post in the first place. If I myself see a really beautiful photo I am more likely to click the post to see what it's about. You don't need any fancy gadgets for this, I just use a shoot and point camera and natural lighting- I mainly take photos in the kitchen as this has the best lighting in my house. Add a few props to make the picture more full looking et Voila! Your ready to pop the picture onto your blog.

4. Join in Twitter Chats. I didn't actually know these chats even existed  when I first started blogging and I'm not much of a twitter user. I prefer facebook to be honest. However, I did sign up to twitter to give it a go and I came across these twitter chats. There are all sorts of chats; ones for beauty bloggers, lifestyle bloggers, fashion bloggers and more. It's such a good way to get to know other bloggers in your niche and share tips and ideas.

5. Link older posts into your new ones. I have found that it's mainly my newer posts that draw traffic and therefore by linking in older posts that are of a similar topic I can continue to gain views on my older stuff too and not just the most recent posts. This is also good as readers who have clicked on your post because they are interested in the particular topic you have written about can find more of that type of topic within your blog, without having  to actively search for it.

6. Keep a notepad handy. I always have ideas for posts at random times, so now I always keep a notebook on me so I can write them down and save them for a later date. It often helps when I'm lacking in the creative department and struggling to find something I want to write about.

7. You can schedule posts. Believe it or not I never really noticed the schedule button next to the post and didn't realise that you could pre-write posts and have them posted without even needing  to be there. When you work full time this comes in so useful as it means on my days off I can pre-write the posts I've planned and then schedule them to go up. It saves time and means I don't have to quickly type up posts when I've just got in.

I hope you have picked up some useful tips from this post, I wish I had come across something like this when I first started blogging, the first month or so I had 0 views! Now I know why.
Share:
Blog Design Created by pipdig